This New Year's Eve, join in the biggest countdown extravaganza ever to be held in Hong Kong! Organised by the Hong Kong Tourism Board ("HKTB") and title-sponsored by New World Development Company Limited, the New Year．New World - Hong Kong Countdown Celebrations will showcase Hong Kong's magnificent Victoria Harbour and mesmerise night-time skyline to the world in a dramatic pyrotechnic musical.
Pay particular attention to these six aspects of the event:
- First-time use of fireworks: For the first time, fireworks will be featured in the show, together with pyrotechnics, special lighting effects and music, to orchestrate an eight-minute pyrotechnic musical.
- Largest scale in the event's history: Fireworks and pyrotechnics will be launched at various heights across the harbour and on the shore, so that the show will cover an area higher and wider than in any previous edition.
- All eyes on the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre: The iconic Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre will be the focal point, with a gigantic LED screen set up next to the building to display the numerals "2014" when the clock strikes midnight. Pyrotechnics will also be launched from the roof of seven buildings in Wan Chai and Admiralty.
- A shore-to-shore show: The pyrotechnics will be launched in six layers, both skywards and from Tsim Sha Tsui towards the other side of the harbour.
- Festive firework elements: Heart- and smiley-shaped fireworks will be launched to exude cheerfulness.
- An awe-inspiring, immersive experience: Spectators will be able to fully immerse themselves in the spectacular show, as pyrotechnics will be launched close to the harbour front in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Peter Lam, HKTB Chairman, said, "The HKTB is deeply grateful to New World Development Company Limited for sponsoring the countdown celebrations for another year. While the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, a tourist landmark in our city, will continue to take centre stage, we have come up with new elements to highlight the depth of Victoria Harbour and expand the scale of the show, so that it will be the biggest-ever countdown celebrations since the event's inauguration. Also, we will provide live satellite feed to major global TV stations to ensure Hong Kong will once again be showcased as one of the world's best cities for watching the countdown to the New Year. We expect the event to generate huge publicity for Hong Kong and to help us uphold its image as ‘Asia's World City'."
Gary Chen, Executive Director and Joint General Manager of New World Development Company Limited, title sponsor of the countdown celebrations, said, "New World Group is honoured to be the title sponsor of the New Year．New World - Hong Kong Countdown Celebrations again. Two years in a row featuring the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre as the focal point, the pyrotechnic musical is particularly meaningful since this year marks the landmark's 25th anniversary. Riding on the spectacle, the Group is organising again the Photo and Short Film Competition, featuring the newly-added Mobile - Photo Category and Mobile - Short Film Category. With these additional categories, we hope to encourage more members of the public to participate in the competition."
The countdown celebrations can be enjoyed from numerous locations on Hong Kong Island and in Kowloon. Vantage points include the harbourfront between the Avenue of Stars and the Hong Kong Cultural Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui, the New Central Harbourfront and Central Piers No. 9 and 10, and the Golden Bauhinia Square in Wan Chai.
About New World Development Company Limited
New World Development Company Limited (“The Group”; Stock Code: 17.HK) is a leading conglomerate based in Hong Kong. The Group was founded in 1970 and publicly listed in Hong Kong in 1972. It is a constituent stock of the Hang Seng Index with a total asset value of HK$332.2 billion as at 30 June 2013.
For more than four decades, the Group has expanded from a single focus on the property business to four core areas: property, infrastructure & service, department store and hotel. As at 30 June 2013, the Group has an effective interest of approximately 61.1% in NWS Holdings Limited (Stock Code: 659.HK), approximately 69.8% in New World China Land Limited (Stock Code: 917.HK) and approximately 72.3% in New World Department Store China Limited (Stock Code: 825.HK).